Tag: buildings

Weather Alert: Grinnell’s First System of Weather Warnings (1888)

We have certainly experienced a lot of turbulent weather in the past week or two—with temperatures varying wildly from day-to-day, and severe cold fronts bringing thunderstorms (with the accompanying threat of high winds, hail, or tornados). How did prior generations of Grinnellians deal with this kind of volatile and dangerous weather?

One of the first notable steps towards a public warning system appears to have developed in the spring of 1888, when the college joined the federal government’s network of voluntary weather observatories. Run by the Signal Service, in the Department of War, this program created a network of volunteer observatories throughout the country, which would record a series of meteorological measurements each day, using calibrated instruments provided by the government, and in turn, would receive daily forecasts and weather charts (via telegraph), which would be communicated to the public by flying large, specialized weather flags, atop their buildings. Goodnow Hall served as the first weather observatory, when the college joined this system in the spring of 1888, with Prof Samuel Buck (Mathematics and Astronomy) overseeing this project.

Goodnow, which was built only a few years earlier, in the wake of the devastating tornado of 1882, was designed to serve as the college’s new library and astronomical observatory. To serve as a weather station, two large poles were added to the building—one, was attached to the observatory tower, and served as the flagpole used to fly the 6 large weather flags that an inland station would use (coastal sites, carried a larger number of storm flags particular to maritime conditions), while the second pole was erected in the center of the building’s roofline to carry the sensitive anemometer, which sent electrical signals to a self-recording device (a chronograph) that captured a constant record of wind direction and speed. Pictures & drawings of Goodnow from this period usually include these two features of the building, which disappeared later. And the fluttering weather flags would have been a prominent feature of the local skyline (each flag was more than 6 feet in length, so that they could be seen from far away.

The most prominent and important of the flags was the “Cold Wave” flag (pictured here), that warned of a coming cold front that could lead to dramatic storms throughout the year. The danger that such cold fronts posed were particularly on the mind of Americans in the spring of 1888, when Grinnell joined this forecasting network, because of two, recent, traumatic events. On January 12, 1888, what started out as a very warm and mild day turned into one of the fiercest blizzards in the upper Midwest that struck unexpectedly that afternoon, trapping many school children who were trying to walk home from their rural schoolhouses. It is estimated that nearly 300 people died from exposure in what became known as the  “Children’s Blizzard”; and in March, an equally sudden and ferocious blizzard descended on the Northeast (again leading to a staggering loss of life, and paralyzing much of the region). It seems likely, then, that the timing of Grinnell’s entry into the Signal Service network was driven by these recent events. Throughout the nation, people clamored for better ways to communicate forecasts and warn about impending weather dangers. The flags that flew each day over Goodnow were a visible attempt to address those concerns, and would continue to alert the public until radio broadcasts rendered this system obsolete.

The Giants of the Natural History Museum

One of the casualties of the 1882 tornado was the college’s natural history museum, which had been housed in the “Central” building, destroyed by a combination of wind and fire. This was not the first time disaster had struck the museum. In 1870, a previous museum had been lost in a fire that consumed the East Building. But like a phoenix rising from the ashes, the college was undeterred by these previous losses, and sent its resident naturalist, Prof. H.W. Parker, on a tour of the east coast to raise funds for a new museum. Paker exceeded all expectations, returning to campus “as a conquering hero” (the Grinnell Herald reported) with donor pledges totaling in the thousands of dollars–enough to equip the museum with the finest natural history collection west of the Mississippi.

The college chose to spend much of these funds buying the “complete” line of exhibit specimens from Henry A. Ward, a charismatic naturalist and entrepreneur, who ran a series of elaborate workshops at the University of Rochester that churned out taxidermic specimens, reproduction casts of fossils, and many other exhibit collections used by museums around the country. Grinnell spent roughly $7,000 to acquire a complete set of taxidermic and fossil specimens from Ward, including three large, pre-historic items that attracted considerable attention (all three are captured in this picture, below, from Dartmouth’s museum): the Megatherium (i.e. Giant Sloth), the Glyptodont (a kind of giant armadillos), and the Plesiosaurus (hanging on the wall on the left).

The museum remained in Blair Hall, until the 1950s, when it was dismantled as the surrounding science departments moved from Blair Hall into the new “Hall of Science” that would become the nucleus of the Noyce Science Center.

A Forgotten Chapter in the History of the New Hannah Alumni House

Last week, the college celebrated the opening of its new Hannah Alumni House, at 1527 Broad Street, made possible by a generous donation from Mary Emily Hannah ’58.  The project involved extensive renovations to a historic home long known as the “Fellows House”—built more than a century ago by Jesse and Maude Fellows , both graduates of the college class of 1901, and prominent leaders in the community.

In the 1930s, the Fellows sold their Broad Street home to the college, which decided to turn the building into a special residential hall focused on issues of civic and community engagement.  Named “Macy Hall”— in honor of Jesse Macy, the longtime professor of political science at the college—this “experiment in group living for students interested in public affairs” was actually intended to be the first step in the creation of a larger program. Reflecting the spirit of the 1930s, when so many Grinnell alumni were prominently involved in the New Deal, and in public service, President Nollen hoped to create a new “school of public affairs” that would garner the college national attention as it prepared to celebrate its centenary.

In 1935, the college hired a new professor of Sociology, W. Ryland Boorman, who became the residential director of Macy Hall (which housed 17-20 male students), and took charge of plans to develop the proposed school of public affairs.  Initial programming revolved around a community series each Thursday evening, in which an invited speaker had dinner (in the Macy Hall dining room) with invited students and faculty ,followed by a talk, and more informal conversation.  The line up of speakers focused on a broad range of topics related to civic life, municipal administration, and social reform—one semester, for example, featured speakers from the Red Cross, the Social Service League, the WPA, the office of school superintendent, City Hall, the Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom, and an agricultural organization. In addition to the talks and events, students could also use Macy Hall’s special “statesmanship library” that contained key works addressing civic reform.

Despite a lot of activity in the 1930s, the school of public affairs never came to fruition, and Macy Hall was sold to private owners during World War II.  But its recent return to the college fold means that it will be embarking on yet another chapter in its interesting history.

 

The Much-Maligned Norris Hall Gets a Make-Over

In 2022, the College completed an ambitious renovation project of Norris Hall, which won a “Masters Award” from the Master Builders of Iowa, not to mention wide applause from students.

Norris has always had its fair share of detractors, criticized for it’s sterile architecture and cramped space.  In the 1970s, it was nicknamed the “Holiday Inn North” which led to the following spoof in the S&B:

Perhaps the best part of the satirical article was its depiction of why the chain motel was so pleased with its purchase:

Holiday Inn was reportedly very pleased with their new purchase. A representative of that organization spoke with the S&B about the existing structure: “It fit all our needs perfectly. The walls are thin and we are impressed with the conspicuous use of Formica and the modular furniture. We’re also very happy that the hallways are so narrow . . . it makes them easier to clean. We  couldn’t have done any better if we had designed, it ourselves,” he said

 

Dedication Ceremonies

 

Dedication Ceremonies

While the large festivities surrounding the dedication of Renfrow Hall happened this weekend, there was another, earlier, ceremony that took place on January 30th–a “topping off” ritual (pictured here) in which select members of the community were invited to sign the final beam that would be hoisted into place to complete the structure of Renfrow Hall. The ritual of “topping off” has deep roots in Scandinavian and British history, but it is just one of a number of builder’s rites that have evolved over the centuries. Most of Grinnell’s early structures, in fact, had “foundation deposit” ceremonies in which dignitaries gathered important documents, signatures, coins, and other objects that they placed into a symbolic copper box, which they then deposited behind the cornerstone or foundation stone of a new building. These have often been discovered when the older buildings are torn down, such as the example pictured in this 1972 article from the S&B, that discusses the deposit box found when the women’s gym was torn down that summer.  Some of the contents of these earlier boxes was placed in a special time capsule that was ceremonially embedded into the floor of the new Burling Library at its dedication in 1958, with instructions to be opened in 2058. If you’re someone who likes scavenger hunts, I’d encourage you to find the plaque for this time capsule in Burling (it’s in a publicly accessible area).

 

 

Powered by WordPress & Theme by Anders Norén